The Communications Center handles dispatch duties for all emergency agencies operating in Dawson County. This is also the central location for emergency and non-emergency calls for service coming into the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office and Dawson County Emergencies Services.
To be considered for this position, you must posses a high school diploma or GED, have no serious criminal record, and be at least 18 years of age. All applicants are subject to a thorough background check, a pre-employment drug screen, voice stress analysis, interviews, and other pre-employment screening techniques utilized by this department.
The following is a brief description of a Dawson County Communication Officer.
- Receives, monitors, and dispatches radio communication for the Sheriff’s Office and Dawson County Emergency Services, including 911 calls.
- Receives incoming telephone calls from the public and other public safety agencies; categorizes and prioritizes calls during emergency situations; dispatches appropriate personnel.
- Inputs all received and transmitted information into CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) System.
- Monitors state issued weather system; retrieves and relays information as needed.
- Coordinates mutual aid efforts with surrounding counties.
- Dispatches the appropriate emergency personnel to incident locations; provides emergency medical instructions to callers prior to the arrival of emergency personnel as appropriate.
- Monitors and routes incoming messages from national and state computer networks; retrieves information as requested.
- Monitors alarms; notifies appropriate parties when an alarm is activated.
- Performs housekeeping duties at the Communication Center.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary.
Those interested in obtaining additional information may do so by contacting the Human Resources Director. Individuals who are interested in applying may do so by downloading an employment application on the “Employment Opportunities” page. Applicants can obtain an application in person at the Sheriff’s Office.