The majority of individuals entering law enforcement begin their careers in a detention facility. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED, and no serious criminal record. All applicants are subject to a thorough background check, a pre-employment drug screen, voice stress analysis, interviews, and other pre-employment screening techniques as deemed necessary.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs housekeeping duties at the facility.
- Controls inmate population in the housing areas of the jail.
- Completes booking reports on incoming inmates.
- Maintains records and reports related to the jail and transfers.
- Assists in carrying out legal mandates of custody.
- Assists in transporting inmates to various facilities.
- Addresses citizens’ needs and requests related to inmates in custody.
- Performs clerical duties such as answering the telephone, filing, and typing.
- Conducts jail security checks and attends to the security, safety, and well being of inmates.
- Supervises inmates’ work detail in and around the jail.
- Performs other related duties as deemed necessary.
If you are interested in obtaining more information, you may do so by contacting the Human Resources Director. Individuals who are interesting in applying may do so by downloading an employment application from the “Employment Opportunities” page or in person at the Sheriff’s Office.